Thursday, December 6, 2012
Thursday, and there's a lot going on in town.
1. Still haven't visited the big guy with the toys? Be sure to check out Patch's regional Santa map, complete with times and places Mr. Claus will be visiting with kids in the area. 2. Patch went boxing last week, and this was the result. Check out our new "Up in Your Business Series" and make a request if you want Patch to come in and film at your business. 3. Dave Malouin returns to the Texas BBQ Company tonight. 4. Bye Bye Birdie opens tonight, put on by the Dramahawks at Algonquin Regional High School. 5. The Community Preservation Committee meets at 7 p.m. at the Town Hall. This meeting is open to the public. Don't miss a beat in Northborough. Be sure to sign up for our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter.
Wednesday, December 5, 2012
Here's what you need to know.
1. The Corridor Nine Area Chamber of Commerce present its Annual Holiday Business After Hours. This event is dedicated to great networking with 250-300 people in attendance and it's a special time for all of us to celebrate the holiday season. White Cliffs has planned a spectacular evening with their legendary food and desserts and for your listening pleasure the music of Michael Field's Saxophone Quartet. So here's how you sign up. 2. Northborough Patch welcomes bloggers. Did you know that? Give yourself a platform to speak about what you know, and the audience to listen. 3. Did you decorate your house for the holidays this year? Enter our "Deck the House" contest and you could win $100,000 for your local school district and $500 to pay …
Tuesday, December 4, 2012
Tuesday's here, and you need to know this.
1. The December Garden Club program is a wreath workshop. Bring greens to share as well as clippers, wires and decorations for your wreath, to the Senior Center today. A $5 charge is applied to nonmembers to cover cost of materials. Refreshments served. 2. The Northborough Free Library offers two programs today, starting with a mini cooking class at 3:30 that concentrates on "wintery snacks," and then a cartoon drawing program at 6:30 p.m. with Ray LaChance, who shows kids how to draw something "beastie." 3. Did you decorate your house for the holidays this year? Enter our "Deck the House" contest and you could win $100,000 for your local school district and $500 to pay your electric bills! 4. The Planning Board continues its discussion …
Monday, December 3, 2012
And remembering the day that 11 people were stampeded to death trying to get seats at a Who show.
1. Be sure to check out our rapidly-updated Santa map, detailing all of the Metrowest area stops the big man is making this season. 2. The Northboro Chiropractic Center is hosting a workshop today on something many of us struggle with: sleep. If you have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, waking in the middle of the night for no reason or have trouble sleeping because of illness, discomfort, anxiety or stress, then this interactive workshop is for you. 3. Be sure to lock your cars at all times. Recently, cars were broken into in the Davis Street and Tomahawk Street areas. If you see any suspicious activity, call police. 4. Jennifer runs a $5 zumba class this evening at Project Jay Fitness. If you've never tried zumba before, this …
Friday, November 30, 2012
The end of November, and what have you done?
1. Today, our local "Santa map" hits the area Patches. Look for it, and plan your visit with the big man. 2.There will be a detour at Northborough Center this weekend due to the Downtown Improvement Project. Plan accordingly. 3. Be sure to lock your cars at all times. Recently, cars were broken into in the Davis Street and Tomahawk Street areas. If you see any suspicious activity, call police. 4. In our neighboring town of Shrewsbury, the Shrewsbury Sportsmen's Club is hosting an indoor flea market this weekend, and is welcome to vendors. It's only $20 to set up. 5. Switchblade Serenade, the "ultimate '80s experience," is rocking it big hair style at the Celtic Tavern tonight. Don't miss a beat in Northborough. Be sure to sign up for our …
Thursday, November 29, 2012
Be sure to lock your cars.
1. Feng Shui and Tea become one at the Northboro Chiropractic Center today. "Explore the awareness of your thoughts, the study of your environment, and how the actions you take can bring balance, peace and happiness into your life. Life Design Expert, Christine Conway, will share with you the amazing practice known as Feng Shui. Christine is a certified Feng Shui Designer and a Professional Empowerment Coach, who has been helping women create their ideal lives for more than a decade." 2.There will be a detour at Northborough Center this weekend due to the Downtown Improvement Project. Plan accordingly. 3. Be sure to lock your cars at all times. Recently, cars were broken into in the Davis Street and Tomahawk Street areas. If you see any …
Wednesday, November 28, 2012
Tuesday. It's not Monday but it's no Wednesday.
1. Have you gotten your tickets for Bye, Bye Birdie yet? It's being performed at Algonquin Regional High School on Dec. 6, 7 and 8. 2. Ever think about starting, or joining, a dodge ball team? Teamworks right here in town is accepting individuals and teams right now. Pow! 3. Our Deck the Halls decorating contest is up and running, folks. And the prize is no small potatoes. Think you've got what it takes to win? Well, it's easy to enter. 4. Bring your lunch or a snack, and a Teddy Bear if you'd like, at this Teddy Bear Picnic that includes "cuddly bear stories" at the Northborough Free Library.Later in the day, enjoy a mother daughter book group at the library, too. 5. It's kids night at JJ's: that means deals on meals, and karaoke. Don't …
Tuesday, November 27, 2012
The ZBA holds a hearing for a special variance for an applicant who wishes to open an indoor trampoline facility in town.
1. The big holiday toy sale is this weekend to benefit the Northborough Recreation Department. Toy donations—new and gently used—are still needed to make this sale the success it usually is. Find out more. 2.The Zoning Board of Appeals meets at 7 p.m. at the town offices, tackling an agenda that includes a petition to allow D&S Entertainment to have commercial amusements and indoor entertainment. The applicant hopes to lease a property in an industrial zone to open a Sky Zone indoor trampoline facility. 3. Be sure to preregister for Corridor Nine's Holiday Business After Hours event, coming up soon at White Cliffs in Northborough. The event is geared toward networking with other businesses in the area, and includes plenty of food, …
Monday, November 26, 2012
Welcome back to the real world.
1. Students in grades 3 and 4 meet for the book club at the Northborough Free Library today to discuss books focusing on historical fiction. Talk about the books, and enjoy a snack with other readers. 2. The town offices were closed on Thanksgiving day and Friday, and of course through the weekend, but are back open for business today, should you need to take care of anything. 3. Our Deck the Halls decorating contest starts today, folks. And the prize is no small potatoes. Think you've got what it takes to win? Well, it's easy to enter. 4. The Northborough Senior Center starts up its week that includes a schedule of strength training, the harmonica club, pitch, pool, a "Food for Life" program and the lunchtime bistro. 5. This week's photo…
Wednesday, November 21, 2012
The day before Thanksgiving: traveling, cooking or getting ready to go out?
1. This shot from a photographer in Grafton, of a photo in Grafton, won the local landmarks photo contest. But not to worry, there are still plenty of photography categories coming our way on Patch. Winners get a $25 gift card of their choice to a local establishment. 2. The Toys for Tots collection has begun and will continue through Dec. 18. Drop off non-violent, unwrapped but pre-packaged toys at the fire department, Town Hall or Northborough Free Library during normal business hours. 3.Thanksgiving Eve, for some, is the biggest night out of the year. That's why JJ's has the wackiest party band around booked for its festivities; The Flock is back doing a bunch of '80s pop tunes for this night of all party nights. 4. The holidays are …