Friday, May 17, 2013
A fire caused considerable damage to the nightclub/restaurant on Monday.
A fire that started in the mulch and ripped up through the wall into the roof caused a considerable amount of damage to the Celtic Tavern on Monday morning. With its digital sign reading "Thank you, Northborough Fire Department," the Celtic was forced to close this week due to the damage. Trucks from Service Master lined the parking lot the next day, and word is that the Celtic Tavern hopes to be open by mid next-week, according to senior bartender Heather Borge Leroux. "We are still in the process of cleaning," she said. "Service Master has control of the whole building right now, cleaning every inch with a find tooth comb. Talk about a spring cleaning." Construction to rebuild the wall, celing and room that were damaged has started, too…
Monday, April 22, 2013
A mechanical fire erupted this afternoon in a silo at a local paper company.
Considering NewCorr Packaging is in the business of making paper and cardboard products, any threat of a fire is of particular concern, said David Durgin, chief of the Northborough Fire Department. When the department responded to a fire at NewCorr on Monday afternoon, they were particularly cautious, calling in support from Westborough and Marlborough fire departments. Northborough fire responded to the company shortly after 3:30 p.m. after receiving calls, and an alarm, to an alert that a fire had erupted in a silo at the rear of the building. The silo contains a starch substance that carries through the lines that corrugates cardboard. When the company performed routine maintenance on the structure, an electrical motor malfunctioned, …
Tuesday, November 13, 2012
Multiple fire departments responded to a house fire late Tuesday afternoon on St. James Drive.
Three are displaced after a substantial fire caused smoke damage to a home on St. James Drive on Tuesday afternoon. Northborough, Marlborough and Westborough fire departments responded to an alarm at 4:07 p.m. after a call from a homeowner who smelled and saw smoke in the home at 33 St. James Drive. Nancy Haynes, the cousin of the owners of the home, stays in an inlaw apartment on the bottom floor of the home. At 3:30 p.m, Haynes sad she came home and ten minutes later "thought I smelled smoke." Coming upstairs to the first floor, Haynes saw thick smoke and called 911. "I smelled a burning that was like rubber or plastic," said Haynes. "The recessed lights in the kitchen also flickered. I thought we were losing electricity for a minute." …
Monday, July 23, 2012
Smoke caused significant damage to Reliance Beer and Wine.
A fire that is suspected to have started in a back storage room created smoke that caused significant damage to Reliance Beer and Wine at 293 West Main St. On Monday at approximately 8:45 p.m., the Northborough Fire Department was alerted by employees at the store that there was "steam or possibly smoke" coming from a storage area in the back. When the fire department arrived, there was there were "moderate smoke conditions," according to Northborough Fire Chief David Durgin. "It was brought under control within 15 minutes," said Durgin, who added that the power lines to the business were cut. Shrewsbury and Westborough fire departments also assisted. Because of the significant loss (much of the product in the store was ruined by smoke), …
Sunday, March 25, 2012
A garage fire reportedly spread into the attached two-story colonial.
Shortly after 5 p.m., Northborough firefighters were called to the scene of a residential garage fire at 109 Pleasant St. The shortlived blaze reportedly extended into the attached main residence and Westborough firefighters were called to assist. “No one was injured,” said Northborough police officer Jeremy Trefry. “It was out pretty quickly.” By 5:30 p.m., all of the windows in the two story colonial were open as were the doors so that the house could be ventilated. Two women could be seen standing with firefighters in the driveway of the home. Firefighters were seen cleaning up equipment at 5:45 p.m. Stay tuned to Northborough Patch for more details as they become available.
Tuesday, February 7, 2012
Marlborough and Northborough fire departments are looking for answers regarding recent fires on 290 and 495.
- POLICE & FIRE
- Josh Gray
Tuesday, February 7, 2012
A small brush fire Saturday afternoon and several others found during the Monday evening commute, have local fire departments searching for answers. Saturday's fire was a contained event off to the side of 495 South in Marlborough. "It was a small brush fire and no injuries were reported," said State Trooper Todd Nolan. "One state police cruiser responded along with the Marlborough Fire Department." Monday evening, however, eight small fires were reported in the eastbound lane of highway 290 spanning several miles of roadway, according to several eyewitnesses. Marlborough, Hudson and Northborough fire departments reportedly responded to the scenes which significantly backed up traffic in the area. State Police shut down several highway …
Monday, February 6, 2012
The Mass State Police are recommending drivers take an alternate route home this evening.
- POLICE & FIRE
- Josh Gray
Monday, February 6, 2012
There is a significant traffic back-up due to several brush fires along Route 290 east in the Northborough and Marlborough area, said the Massachusetts State Police. At 5:10 p.m., troopers closed several ramps along 290 east, however, those ramps were reopened at 5:40 p.m. A curiosity factor has also caused significant delays on the westbound side as well. State police suggest motorists seek alternate routes until emergency crews clear the scene. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to keep up to date on the latest Marlborough news, or simply hit the "like" button at the top of this page. If you'd like to receive the daily newsletter with our top stories, click here.
Friday, December 9, 2011
Here's what Nortborough's representatives have been up to this past week.
Rep. Jim McGovern, D-Worcester, offered his condolences and support around the loss of Worcester firefighter Jon Davies, who was killed during a call to a Worcester fire on Dec. 8. “Once again, our community is given a tragic reminder of the risks our firefighters take each and every day," said McGovern. Once again, we grieve. Our hearts go out to the family, friends and colleagues of our fallen hero, Jon Davies. We hope for the full recovery of Brian Carroll. We will come together—stand together as one—to give them the prayers and support they need.” State sen. Jamie Eldridge is hosting a community forum to discuss the widespread power outages resulting from the Oct. 29 snowstorm on Thursday, Dec. 15, from 6-8 p.m. at the Bigelow …
Saturday, December 3, 2011
On Dec. 3, 1999, the Worcester Fire Department lost six of its own. Where were you when you heard the news?
Locally speaking, hearing of the devastating loss of six firefighters on Dec. 3, 1999, during the Cold Storage Building fire in Worcester is as memorable as 9/11, the Kennedy sssasination or the Challenger disaster. If you lived in Worcester County, you heard about it, and grieved with thousands. Where were you when you heard the devastating news? Visit the Firefighters Memorial Facebook page here.
Friday, November 18, 2011
This week, Northborough Patch talked about the arson case of 2008, profiled the new wrestling coach, and talked turkey.
It's been three years since arson took down a section of strip mall in Northborough. Take a look back to pictures of the fire, and how Brown's TV is still recovering. Tess Herdman is definitely a Whiz Kid. She landed a role in the bigtime production of A Christmas Carol at Hanover Theatre. Santo Anza, owner of SA Farms, is in the news again. This week, he was ordered to stop bringing in fill to a location in Berlin. The new Sea Dog Steak & Ale in Northborough was featured on NECN's "TV Diner" with Billy Costa. It got a great review, too. People are still talking—er, disagreeing—about issues surrounding the proposal of a wind turbine in Northborough. Discussions erupted in Northborough Patch's "You Said It" column this week. Want to add …