There is a lingering misconception that Peapod, Stop & Shop's delivery service, is expensive. Not so, if you use coupons and shop the sales. Once you learn all the ways to save with Peapod, you may be hooked, like I am! Here are a few items you can get this week (Thurs-Wed) using coupons:
- Trans-Ocean Crab meat - 75 cents
- Butterball sliced turkey - 50 cents
- Feta cheese - $1.25
- Friendship cottage cheese - $1.40
- Helluva Good dip - 50 cents
- Yo Crunch yogurt - 39 cents
- Waist Watcher 2L soda - 49 cents
- Arnold Sandwich thins - $1
- Van's waffles - $1.79 (that's less than Stop & Shop brand!)
- Ferrero Rocher - $1 (perfect for New Year's parties)
- Wise cheese doodles 9oz - 90 cents
- Idahoan potatoes - 19 cents (great donation item!)
- Francesco Rinaldi sauce - $1 (no coupon)
- Carmex - 40 cents
- FINISH Quantum - $2
- Hormel Turkey chili - 45 cents
- Coconut milk - $1.29
- Birdseye Steamfresh - $1.66
- Strawberries - $1.50 (with purchase of 2 Kellogg's Mini Wheats @ $2 each with coupon)
Plus, existing customers received a code for free delivery by 12/31 which shaves $6.95 off the total.
It's especially handy during these cold winter months for those housebound, with kids in tow, time challenged or unable to lift groceries from the shelf, to the cart, out of the cart, onto the conveyor belt, back into the cart, up into the car, out of the car, into the house, on the counter and FINALLY, into the final resting place (fridge, freezer, cabinet, pantry, etc.) before being consumed. Whew! That just sounds exhausting!
Peapod relieves you of all of this hassle. No more aimlessly roaming the aisles searching for the elusive ketchup which is in one aisle at one store and a completely different aisle at another store. Have you ever tried to find all the ingredients to make a simple ice cream sundae? That involves at least 3 different aisles! Even with a list in hand, it can be time consuming. Peapod puts the groceries on the counter. All you do is put them away, 1 step!
Here are the tricks to Peapod:
1. Sign-up here through this referral link: http://peapod.tellapal.com/a/clk/DvCxl.
2. Refer your friends and you could earn $10 for each referral, with your choice of redemption options: Peapod, Amazon, Fandango, iTunes, Make-a-Wish or Red Cross.
3. Use code: SSCLPR12 by 1/31/13 for $15 off your first delivery AND 60 days of free delivery after your first order. (The code can be entered on the final checkout page.)
4. Yes, you can use coupons. Yes, Peapod doubles manufacturer coupons up to $.99. So, a $.01 coupon would double to $.02. A $.99 coupon doubles to $1.98. That is the max. It is automatic. Just put your coupons in a ziploc bag or envelope with your name on it and give it to the delivery driver. They don't accept competitor coupons or catalinas (those coupons that print out with your register receipt).
5. Yes, the produce is VERY fresh (often better than the store). The meats/deli/seafood seem to be the same quality as the store.
6. If you are not satisfied with any product or part of the service, simply call 1-800-5-PEAPOD to get a credit issued. They are very good about this. You don't need to prove it or send it back. One time they had just mislabeled the fish - the haddock sticker was on the salmon and vice versa. I called. They apologized and credited me for BOTH fish. My last delivery had some shelf stable items that felt refrigerated upon arrival. Peapod credited all of those items without any hassle. Great service!
7. You choose your delivery time. Someone must be home to receive the order and delivery timeframes can fill up quickly. Peapod delivers on weeknights too. There are options to save an additional $1-$3 if you select one of the broader delivery windows.
Note: Peapod Pick-Up service is now available in some areas, including Stop & Shop on Lyman St in Westborough. For a limited time, they are waiving the pickup fee of $2.95. Get $5 off your 2nd and 3rd pickup order with codes: PUPWELCOME1 and PUPWELCOME2
8. Con: Most of the time, all of the items I have ordered have been in stock. Occasionally, there have been 1 or 2 items out of stock. This is one reason why I would not rely on Peapod for last minute ingredients for entertaining since you wouldn't know about this until 2 hours before your delivery at the earliest.
9. Tipping is not required, although I'm sure it's appreciated.
10. The Peapod website has so many ways to customize your shopping experience. You can sort by pretty much anything: price, carbs, gluten-free, kosher, organic, etc. You can even create a "NutriFilter" for customized dietary requirements. You can view past orders and shop from those orders. It's very user friendly!
11. Peapod is web-based, so you can place your order anywhere, any time of day, from your laptop, desktop, Smartphone with the Peapod app, etc.
12. On delivery day, Peapod can notify you via text or email when you are next on the delivery schedule if you select that option on the website. You can also view your order 2 hours before delivery to see if there's anything out of stock (and remove those coupons if you have any for those items).
13. Tips & Tricks: Prices of items placed in your cart are guaranteed for 7 days. Peapod's week ends Wed. night and the new week starts Thursday morning. Are you catching the drift yet? You can take advantage of TWO sale weeks in ONE order! Here's how: add items to your virtual cart on Wednesday (for example). Add any discount codes, select your delivery date (with 6 days to be on the safe side) and checkout completely. Then, on Thursday (or whenever your deadline is for adding items to your cart -- usually the day before at either 3pm or midnight), add any new items from the new sale week. This is where you need to be careful. Do NOT make any additions or quantity changes to the items from the previous week or else the price could change. Only add new items or delete items completely. THEN, is KEY: Do Not Checkout Again. Instead, click "Save & Exit" at the top of your screen when you've finished adding items. That's it!
14. Peapod sends codes to customers occasionally. They also post codes on their Facebook page for delivery discounts. There are also special online only discounts listed on their website.
15. You CAN stick to your budget. You can see your total and adjust accordingly. Risk of impulse buying is greatly reduced.
16. Delivery fee is $6.95 for orders $100+. $9.95 for orders $60-$100. However, they are always sending out discount codes either directly or online.
Are you ready to give Peapod a try? Code SSCLPR12 is one of the best I've seen in a long time. Expires 1/31/13.
As always, please let me know if you have any questions. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!
If you are on Facebook too, please remember to "Like" Northborough Patch, as well as keep up to date on time-sensitive savings & deals in Massachusetts at my recently started page: http://www.facebook.com/MASSiveSavings