Tuesday, Rand was the first person to take out nomination papers for the May 12 annual town ballot, Town Clerk Andrew Dowd said.
The deadline for taking out nomination papers is noon Friday, March 21, Dowd has said.
The deadline for filing nomination papers signed by 50 registered voters is 5 p.m. Monday, March 24.
Two three-year terms on the board of selectmen are on the ballot. Selectman Aaron Hutchins recently announced he won't seek a second three-year term.
Rand and Hutchins were elected in 2011, defeating candidate Scott Mahoney.
The seats on the 2014 ballot, and the incumbents, are:
- Moderator, one year: Fred George
- Selectman, two for three years: Aaron Hutchins and Dawn Rand
- Planning board, two for three years: Theresa Capobianco and Rick Leif
- Northborough school committee, two for three years: Joan Frank and Shirley Lundberg
- Northborough-Southborough Regional School Committee, two for three years (Northborough candidates): Scott Karpuk and Shirley Lundberg
- Northborough-Southborough Regional School Committee, two for three years (Southborough candidates) Paul Butka and David Rueger