Last post showed how to ripen and prepare kiwis. Here's a great way to put 'em to use once they're good to go.
Preparation Time: 5-7 minutes
Needed (for 1)
- 1 Ripe Kiwi
- 1 Handful Fresh Berries (I like using a combination of blueberries and blackberries, but
- any fresh berries will work)
- 2-4 Tablespoons Plain (or your favorite) Yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon Favorite Jam (optional)
- 1/2 Handful Favorite Dried Fruit (optional)
- Short Bladed Sharp (Paring) Knife
- Cutting Board
1. Remove any berry stems, rinse the fresh berries in the sink and put the rinsed berries in a bowl.
2. Prepare the ripe kiwi by using a sharp short bladed (paring) knife to cut under and around the stem patch so that the tough stem end can be removed in a single cone-shaped piece. Remove the kiwi skin by making shallow cuts just underneath the skin lengthwise down the kiwi side, making sure to remove the bottom patch at the bottom end of kiwi. Cut the skinned kiwi in half lengthwise. Cut each half again lengthwise into 2-3 slices, and then cut the slices in cross section into pieces 1/2 - 3/4 inch (12 - 20 mm) wide, and add the cut kiwi to the berries in the bowl.
3. Add 2-4 tablespoons plain (or your favorite) yogurt, 1 tablespoon of your favorite jam (optional) and 1/2 handful of your favorite dried fruit.