Is there a coupon train chugging through your neighborhood or group? Do you have a lot of pet coupons, but need baby coupons instead, or vice versa? Perhaps you prefer Charmin and your friend prefers Cottonelle. Coupon trains and trading can be a very efficient way of getting coupons for products you buy most often. All you need to start is 2 people.
To start a coupon train:
- Get a group of people (friends, neighbors, family, etc.) who are willing to participate.
- Compile a wish list of everyone’s top 5-10 brands.
- Create a checklist with everyone’s names, addresses and preferred brands.
- Put that sheet and some coupons in a bag or envelope.
- Circulate the stash among the group (via mailbox dropoff, snail mail, in person, etc.)
- Each person takes a number of coupons and replaces with the same number of other coupons they don't need.
- Each person checks their name off the list and circulates the stash to the next person.
- The “conductor” is the last person to receive and refresh the bag, removing coupons nearing expiration dates and recirculates the train.
There are more formal coupon trains and trading sites, some of which can be found here: http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/coupon-trains-hop-board/