5 Things: Fire Prevention; Columbus Day Closings
Happy Columbus Day, whatever that means to you.
1. It's Fire Prevention Week, and many towns are offering open houses and there is also fire prevention material available to the public by companies such as the National Fire Sprinkler Association. In Northborough, there is no official open house this year, but the department is visiting the schools for presentations. "A majority of the fire prevention outreach was at Applefest," said Chief David Durgin.
2. Davidian Brothers Farm is holding a contest to guess the weight of a pumpkin. And this is a mighty big pumpkin. Get down there, guess the weight, and you could win this very big pumpkin. You could probably even make a boat out of it, if you wanted to.
3. It's Columbus Day, and if you don't know that already, you're a little late. But that's OK. In case you need a reminder, here's what is open and closed today.
4. Helping Hands is still collecting winter coats, hats and boots for children. Find out what and where to drop off these items here.
5. The State Police are putting up a sobriety checkpoint this weekend in Worcester County. Regardless, don't drive drunk!